Parental involvement is a combination of commitment and active participation on the part of parent to the school and to the student. As parents you can ensure that your child receives the benefits from parental involvement by staying up to date on what is happening in the classroom.
Tulsa Public Schools is committed to helping your child develop the academic knowledge and critical thinking he or she needs to succeed in school and beyond. As a result, these involvement opportunities empower parents to take action. By connecting parents to school officials, community members, other parents, knowledge, and powerful allies, these opportunities build bridges and networks that support schools and sustain whole communities.
Get involved with PTA!
Have questions? You can contact our PTA via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, call the main office 918-746-9040, or check out our Jones PTA facebook page:
It only cost $5 to join the PTA!
MEET THE PTA
Printable PTA Newsletters:
Jones Elementary School Parent Involvement Plan
Purpose: Tulsa Public Schools shall promote parent involvement in all schools as mandated by Title, Ever Student Succeeds Act (ESSA),and work as equal partners with parents in providing quality learning experiences for every student, every day, without exception.
The Board believes and acknowledges that parent involvement raises the academic level of students. Additionally, parents become empowered, teacher morale improves and communities grow stronger when parents take an active role in educating their children. To this end, school shall involve parents in the education of their children are all grade levels. The superintendent or his/her designee shall provide coordination, technical assistance and other support necessary to assist all schools in planning and implementing effective parent involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance. Public Law 107-110, Every Students Succeeds Act (ESSA); section 1118-Title I Parent involvement establishes that to build capacity for parent involvement within schools, a district is to “develop jointly with agree on with, and distribute to parents of participating children a written Parent Involvement Policy”.
Building Parents Capacity for Involvement
The Board believes that empowering parents to insist on improvement and giving schools extra incentive to do so and by giving parents options regarding their children’s education helps the district to realize its vision to become the “District of Choice” for patrons of the community. As a result of this belief, the Board shall create an environment of supportive and collaborative parent involvement.
1. Program Information for Parents. Jones Elementary School shall provide assistance to parents of all children in understanding such topics as the state’s academic content and achievement standards, the assessments being used, the requirements and rights of Title 1, Part A, Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and how to monitor their children’s progress and work with educators to improve their achievement.
2. Materials and Trainings. Jones Elementary School shall provide materials and training, such as literacy training and training on how to use technology, to help parents work with their children to improve achievement. Also, Jones will maintain a Parent Resource Center in the school lobby to assist parents with their needs. The Parent Resource Center has a collection of parenting booklets, handbooks, flyers, and community resource information to provide parents with tools necessary to help develop successful students. Jones will also provide professional development opportunities to faculty and staff to strengthen and enhance the “teacher-parent” relationship.
3. Educational Opportunities. Jones Elementary School shall educate teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, with assistance of parents, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and the school.
4. Pre-School Coordination. Jones Elementary School shall “to the extent feasible and appropriate”, coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs with Early Childhood, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children.
5. Communication. Jones Elementary School shall ensure that information related to school and parents and other activities is sent to the parents of all children in a format, and to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand. Newsletters, School Connects telephone messaging system, the school marquee, and Jones website are used to inform parents of Jones School events, meetings, and other important information. Jones also communicate with the Spanish speaking parents thru the school’s parent facilitator and interpreter/translator.
6. Informational Meetings. In order to foster positive and meaningful interaction between parents and staff, Jones will hold meeting throughout the school year. These meetings include, but are not limited to, Back to School Night, Parent/Reacher Conferences, Parents Parities and Literacy Nights.
7. Other requested activities. Jones Elementary School provides such other reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents may request,
Revised and Review: September 30, 2018
Legal Reference: Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) 1, P.L. 107-110, Title I
District Involvement Information
- Stay Connected - TPS social media and smartphone app
- Tulsa Council of PTAs
- National PTA
- Booster Clubs/PTAs sanctioned organizations
- Parents as Teachers
- Student and Family Guide to Success (includes the Behavior Response Plan)
- Achieving. Classroom Excellence (ACE) Parental Curriculum Choice Letter
- Logrando la Excelencia en el Salón de Clases Carta hacia los Padres para la Selección de Currículo
- Parent Guide | Guía para Padres
- Parents Right To Know | El Derecho a Saber de los Padres
- Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- Educational Surrogate Parents Program
- All students need parental support to succeed. The Educational Surrogate Parents Program responds to the need for support and representation of students with disabilities whose parents are not available. This program relies on the commitment of volunteers who support a student's education by advocating for him/her to ensure that the student receives a free and appropriate public education.