Resources for Changes in 2020-2021
In early January, Superintendent Deborah Gist submitted her recommendation to the Board of Education to close Jones Elementary School at the end of the 2019-2020 school year. At our regular meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 21, the Board voted to approve this recommended closure.
Effective in the 2020-2021 school year, students currently enrolled Jones Elementary will be assigned to one of three new neighborhood schools: Bell Elementary School, Lindbergh Elementary School, or MacArthur Elementary School.
In the coming weeks, you will receive a letter confirming your child’s new neighborhood school assignment. The teams at Bell, Lindbergh, and MacArthur elementary schools are looking forward to welcoming your child to their new school community in the 2020-2021 school year. These schools will hold new family open houses in the early spring - look for those invitations soon!
If you are interested in considering other school options in our district, we will be providing additional enrollment support for any families affected by school closures and consolidations on the following dates:
- Sat., Jan 25 from 10am-2pm: Enrollment Center (2819 S. New Haven Ave.)
- Mon., Jan. 27 from 7am-7pm: Grimes Elementary School (3213 E. 56th St.)
- Tues., Jan. 28 from 7am-7pm: Jones Elementary School (1515 S. 71st E. Ave.)
- Wed., Jan. 29 from 7am-7pm: Wright Elementary School (1110 E. 45th Pl.)
- Thurs., Jan. 30 from 7am-7pm: Mark Twain Elementary School (541 S. 43rd W. Ave.)
We have every reason to believe that the teachers and staff at Jones will have other opportunities in our district. We will continue to engage with the Jones team to ensure that - as much as possible - teachers are able to move with their students.
- How do we support our families and teams during closures and consolidations?
- What happens when Tulsa Public schools are closed or consolidated?
- What will happen to the teachers at Jones?
- What if I want to send my child to another school instead of Bell, Lindbergh, or MacArthur?
- My child is on transfer. Will he or she be able to attend Bell, Lindbergh, or MacArthur?
- Will my child be eligible for transportation?
Parent Meeting Presentation
Click to View
January - March
- Meetings with teachers and staff potentially affected by closures and consolidations
- Meetings with families potentially affected by closures and consolidations
March - June
- District and school teams plan for and begin implementation
- Changes would take effect